Miracle in Bettws y Crwyn
I expect many of you read the article in the Shropshire Star. For those of you who didn’t – here is the link:
Normally there is a quiz in January. This year is still taking place – but a little different.
BETTWS VILLAGE QUIZ 2021
For the first time and due to unprecedented circumstances
the Quiz this year will be online, on trust at no cheating
and on the understanding that fun is still the main aim of the game!!!
We shall try to send a copy of the Quiz to everyone in the Parish via their email address. If you know of someone who does not have email but would like to have a go, let us have their address and we shall post one to them. Please feel free to forward the Quiz by email to anyone you know; all are welcome!
Having received your Quiz questions, please answer them all, put your team name on your entry and then send it via. email to : firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Badger Moor, Newcastle, SY7 8PW.
ALL ENTRIES TO BE ACCOMPANIED BY A FEE OF £10 per team – this is a fund-raising event you know, our first for almost a year! You may pay either by cheque payable to :- Bettws Parish Hall Fund or
by bank transfer to: Sort Code 40-26-21 Acc. No. 21093916 remember to use your team name as the reference
COMPLETED ENTRIES TO BE WITH THE TREASURER, DICK SMITH,
BY 20TH FEBRUARY.
REMEMBER – POINTS MEANS PRIZES!!
SO THIS YEAR, NONE OF THOSE MEAN PACKETS OF SMARTIES,
(only joking Delphine!)
BUT ACTUAL CASH PRIZES THIS YEAR!!!!!!
First Prize: £30.00
Second prize: £15.00
Third prize: £5
PLEASE HAVE A GO AND SUPPORT YOUR PARISH HALL!! GOOD LUCK!
LOOKING BACK ON 2020
1. On what date did the first Lockdown come into force in the U.K.?
2. Three months after stepping down as senior royals, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex revealed that they had bought an £11 million home in the U.S. Where is it, town and state?
3. Why did Ugur Sahin and Ozlem Tureci make international headlines this year?
4. Donald Trump became the third US President to be impeached. Who were the other two?
5. By what nickname is Boris Johnson’s fiancée Carrie Symonds reportedly known by some Downing Street staff?
6. Which European country became the first in the world to make public transport free?
7. At Bettws y Crwyn Parish Hall a seriously expensive crack has developed, where?
8. The roll out of a Russian-developed coronavirus vaccine began in December. What is the vaccine called?
9. Who visited Barnard Castle when they should not have?
10. Which film was due to be released in February, then April 2020 but will now not be released until April 2021?
FOOTBALL CLUBS CLUES
11. A glass mansion
12. Home for many London pensioners
13. Kevin Costner danced with them
14. The main part of a ship
15. A very dark Scottish stream
16. Mum is in good health
17. A very modern stronghold
18. They man the ship
19. Pasture owned by a male
20. Complete pig joint
BACK TO NORMAL QUESTIONS!
21. Which African country is the largest by area?
22. No. 54 Albion Road, Broadstairs was the birthplace in 1916 of which Tory MP?
23. What is the capital of Australia’s Northern Territory?
24. Bob Dylan sang about this American road. Which one?
25. How long is Offa’s Dyke?
26. Name four European capitals that begin with the letter V.
(1/2 point each)
27. To which country would you have to travel to see lemurs in the wild?
28. In which country would you find the Bay of Pigs?
29. On which road in London is the main frontage of the Natural History Museum?
30. Powis Castle was built by a Welsh Prince. In about which year?
MORE STRANGE QUESTIONS!
9 L of a C is Nine lives of a Cat. Try these others :-
31. 180 M S at D
32. 24 H from T
33. 18 H on a G C
34. 2001 A S O
35. 3 B M
36. 76 T in the B P
37. 1963 A of P K
38. 39 S
39. 11 D S (A of the C of the E)
40. 1876 I of the T (A G B)
BACK TO NORMAL QUESTIONS!
41. Name the housekeeper of the family who adopted Paddington Bear?
42. By what name was the singer, Farrokh Bulsara, better known?
43. What was the Christian name of Shakespeare’s only known son?
44. Which novel has a character called Major Major Major Major?
45. What is Dracula author Bram Stoker’s first name short for?
46. In poetry, what line follows:
“If I should die, think only this of me” …….
47. In which 1960’s cartoon series did Penelope Pitstop appear?
48. Which painter had a “blue period”?
49. Who became, shortly before his death in 1976, the first British composer to be awarded a life peerage?
50. Steve McQueen’s TV drama series “Small Axe” takes its title from a lyric in a song by which singer-songwriter?
CRYPTIC CLUES FOR LOCAL PLACES
51. My lady, the knight on the white horse will slay the dragon for you.
52. Unmarried girls don’t want to be left on this.
53. Fire up the ecclesiastical boiler.
54. Graham Kerr years ago was known as The Galloping Gourmet.
55. L. would get muddled choosing the best restaurant here.
56. Lots of river crossings.
57. In the middle of the famous General one might leave for the French sea.
58. Heavens! Alan ran bl..d. fast! He ran like the wind.
59. Some furious field closures.
60. E, teen prigs are right difficult to understand for us northerners.
SPORT AND LEISURE
61. Which Joe kept the nation fit during the first Lockdown?
62. What is the middle name of the other Joe who is going to be the next President of USA?
63. Who hosted the Olympics in 2000?
64. Hollie Doyle is making a name for herself – as what?
65. Daley Thompson won the gold medal at the Olympics in 1980 and 1984. In which event?
66. What is the emblem for the Welsh Rugby Union?
67. In show jumping how many faults are scored for a refusal at a fence?
68. What shape is the blade of an epee in fencing?
69. What was the name of the old ground that Shrewsbury Town FC played at until 2007?
70. In boxing, which is the heavier out of welterweight and middleweight?
SCIENCE AND NATURE
71. Which bird is Troglodytes troglodytes?
72. What food flavouring is derived from the crocus plant?
73. Which two elements alloy to form brass?
74. How is the “word” Covid-19 constructed, what does it stand for?
75. Bruxism is the medical term for what unconscious habit?
76. What is different to other deer in the Chinese Water Deer?
77. Which animal’s scientific name means : “a camel marked like a leopard who walks swiftly”?
78. Which fourth century Greek mathematician is referred to as the “founder, or father of geometry”?
79. What part of the hazel is the ament?
80. For Christmas, by what name are many of the obligate hemi-parasitic plants in the order Santalales better known?
IF THERE SHOULD BE A TIE, THEN THE QUIZ TEAMS WITH THE TOP SCORES WILL BE PLACED IN A HAT AND PICKED OUT AT RANDOM – AND UNDER SUPERVISION! – BY OUR CHAIRMAN!!!
Bettws y Crwyn Community Group
Help and support for folk in the Upper Clun valley, centred on Bettws y Crwyn in Shropshire.
This Facebook page has been created by Lisa Gilby as a means of communication among us in these rapidly changing times. We are thrilled that – on its first day there are so many offers of help for those who are isolated.
I have been instructed to close the church until further notice to comply with Government and Church requirements. I do this with great regret. This lovely ancient church, and earlier versions of the building, have remained open for prayer and contemplation through two world wars, and for many centuries.
Simon, our Vicar, is happy to talk to any of our parishioners. Please let me know if you would like him to contact you.
Parish Council and all Church and Diocese based meetings are also cancelled.
Please join the group and share its contents with those who do do not use digital communication. There are many kind people in our community, and this is worth celebration.
Take care of yourselves.
Valerie Whately 01547510681